7.09.2008

My dream


Alright. I am coming out with it. My dream is to be a Calligraphist.
It started in 6th grade with the wonderful Ms. Booth. She was a school teacher and a talented calligraphist on the side. She said people used to pay her to make Valentines in college. All of the names on our awards were done in perfect calligraphy and we would all gather around her desk and watch in amazement. Being the great teacher she is (and knowing that calligraphy improves penmenship by leaps and bounds), she offered us lessons during lunch recess. And being the nerd that I am, I jumped on that opportunity. What 12 year old would rather play than practice handwriting? Come on!
I loved it. I even got a nice little set for Christmas. Lately, I have been thinking about it a lot. I think the idea of addressing envelopes for extra cash is so ideal for me. I would love it.
And in my glory days of junior high, friends used to beg me to write notes for them to people because they loved my handwriting (not to toot my own horn or anything). And I was really into lettering and bought all those scrapbook lettering books. I got really good... Are these credentials?
Problem is, I have a lot of hobbies. Knitting has been the one that has stuck with me the most so far, and I am hoping calligraphy would to. Also, I have looked for calligrahy classes that are local in my area and no such luck. I can teach myself, but I think taking a class would keep me disciplined about it. I am a little rusty.
So blogging world, please lend me your support! I really want to do this and have researched it even. I may or may not have picked a title for my "calligraphy business".
I think I need someone to pester me about it so I can get 'er done. Any volunteers?:)

1 comment:

Carla said...

Dear L.M. Glam,

What a wonderful DREAM you have! It was fun reading the story of your 6th grade teacher--what a wonderful woman she must have been. :-) I fell in love with calligraphy 30 years ago in a college course and have made it my life work. I love sharing my love for calligraphy with children and adults and have taught many, many classes through the years.

From my experience, I would highly recommend that you find instructors. Check out your community college for classes. Google calligraphy societies (then add your location) and see what comes up. There are many all over the US and they offer workshops, classes and conferences on a huge variety of calligraphy styles and techniques. And the people are wonderful, creative and sharing.

It is worth traveling, if you must; I would caution you about settling with being self-taught. It is very difficult to see your own mistakes and easy to develop bad habits.

I am in Santa Barbara, California, and if you let me know where you are, I could forward some contact information if I have any for you.

If you'd like to see what I'm doing, you could check out my brand new website: www.CalligraphyByCarla.com

Oh, and by the way, the correct term for a person who does calligraphy is a "calligrapher". :-)

Blessings!
Carla